Living with chronic pain is difficult. Anger, frustration, depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, grief and loss, and resentment are just some of the side effects of living with chronic pain. When it comes to pain recovery, the staff at Driftwood Recovery understands approximately 70% of physical pain is an emotional reaction to pain itself. Long-term use of pain medication actually increases the body’s sensitivity to pain, causing pain to amplify. This is referred to as hyperalgesia. Taking prescription pain medication long term, or self-medicating in other ways, can lead to life-threatening consequences.
How Our Pain Recovery/Management Program Works
We’ve seen it far too often: chronic pain becomes too much for an individual and they combat it with opiates. What started as a way to manage pain becomes a debilitating substance abuse.
A comprehensive approach to pain recovery promotes greater results than long term opiate use. We rely on evidence-based treatment methods, instead of opiates, to fight chronic pain.
At Driftwood Recovery, we treat various conditions, including:
Pain Recovery Modalities
The staff at Driftwood Recovery offers a number of therapeutic techniques during individual and group sessions for the best chance at long-term pain recovery. Each individualized treatment plan is designed by a board certified pain management physician, along with our doctoral and masters level therapists. This plan includes a full medical, mental health, and fitness evaluation. Treatment modalities may include aquatic therapy, infrared sauna, acupuncture, massage therapy, biofeedback, yoga, mindfulness, meditation, nutritional guidance, and individual counseling.
Further examples include:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) —ACT is an empirically based therapeutic approach that uses acceptance and mindfulness strategies with commitment and behavioral changes strategies, to increase psychological flexibility and improve motivation.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) — CBT is a therapeutic approach that is structured, present oriented and directed toward solving current problems by teaching skills and strategies to modify dysfunctional thinking and behaviors.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) — DBT is an evidence based behavioral therapy approach that offers skills and approaches to improve functioning in four domains; Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Distress Tolerance and Emotion Regulation.
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment — Dual Diagnosis is a treatment approach that addresses a client substance abuse disorder while simultaneously addressing their mental health disorder.
- Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR) — EMDR has shown to be useful in resolving traumatic experiences, enabling healing from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of disturbing life experiences.
A Better Approach to Pain Recovery/Management
Living with chronic pain can be isolating, but you don’t have to go through it alone. Our compassionate staff is ready to teach you to effectively manage your pain and live a positive, productive life. We provide individuals with a 85-acre, amenity-rich environment conducive to long-term recovery.
Our comprehensive recovery program includes:
The first step to your new life starts with a phone call. Call Driftwood Recovery today at 866-426-4694.